The Benefits of Guided Relaxation – Fitness and Wellbeing Perth – Scotland All-Strong
You’ve had a great workout, invigorated your body, enjoyed some endorphins and released some stress – you’ve challenged yourself to do it and you’ve won! Focussed breathing and full-body stretching follow, soothing the nervous system and easing the muscles. Then lie comfortably, lavender-scented pillow optional, and let the eyes fall shut.
And here begins the guided relaxation – a time to enjoy a complete rest, a short journey into stillness. ‘But I don’t need that,’ some might muse, ‘I relax in front of the TV almost every night, or pass out to that page-turner, or just wine! All fine and good, but a mindful relaxation has several benefits that provide a deeper, more aware and impactful experience:
- REDUCE STRESS through deep breathing, body scan and muscle relaxation, and simple visualisation exercises
- ANXIETY CONTROL is possible when we create a space in which to observe our thoughts and feelings, allowing them to pass through our experience more easily and with less disruption
- IMPROVE SELF AWARENESS as we learn to observe tensions in the body, the quality of the breath, and the thoughts and emotions which arise in our experience
- IMPROVE FOCUS & ATTENTION through the simple but highly beneficial practice of following the breath (starting with just a few breaths)
- CREATE POSITIVITY through the repetitions of simple affirmations, including building confidence, kindness and self-esteem
- LEARN TO RELAX and CALM DOWN by practising these simple and effective methods almost anywhere and any time
Our Stress Smashers and Pilates classes as well as our Fitness to Feel Better Programmes all contain short but effective guided relaxations, as we believe that the end of a workout is an ideal time to take a few minutes to really check in with the body. Once the mind body connection is established it will strengthen, becoming an increasing source of improving both relaxation and energy levels.
The combination of physical activity and mindful relaxation is very effective in getting the most out of a fitness class, and our small-group, private environment further enhances it’s benefits, providing participants with powerful tools of self-management, recovery and prevention for times of stress, anxiety, depression and chronic low mood.
ALL ARE WELCOME TO STRESS SMASHERS and PILATES – Book your place and give it a try – YOU WILL FEEL BETTER!
Or please feel free to message with any questions, or to arrange a time to visit the studio to see the space and have a wee chat about training.
ALL STRONG SCOTLAND C.I.C.
3rd Floor, Drummond House
6 Scott Street
Perth, PH1 5EJ